Saturday

Don't Be Poolish


My first (read 'foolishly ambitious') attempt at baking bread was an uneqivocal disaster. Not even fit for a doorstop. Sigh.

It all started last Fall... I was THRILLED TO BITS when Suganya of Tasty Palettes sent me some Amish Friendship Bread Starter! I rubbed my hands with glee and made all sorts of plans that involved the creation of a lovely loaf of bread. However, I was short on time and in a stupendous burst of thickheaded-ness decided to stop feeding the starter and use it right away. Text book example of 'Vinasha Kale Viparita Buddhi'. Eloquently translated here but perhaps more succintly summarized as, 'Grr'!!

Next thing you know, that manic gleam appeared in my eye. Whole grain bread was my objective and I would let nothing stand my way. Fortunately, the Fresh Loaf came to my rescue. Utterly. Fabulous.

The more time I spend on that site, the more I enjoy it. It had everything I needed to get started: recipes, pictures. To my complete and utter delight, breadmakers tend to be science enthusiasts. They keep track of their proofing and their experiments. They plot charts. Set up workbooks in MS Excel. These are my people. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, its all a matter of taste. And of course, theres no substitute for working the dough with your hands. Such an intriguing mix of personal experience and science.

In addition, I've turned into a Peter Reinhart devotee. This is my third time making the MultiGrain Hearth Bread from his latest book, "Whole Grain Breads".

Heres what I did:
I confess that I plan my life around this bread. I make the soaker with cooked grains, specifically: steel cut oats, millet and kasha. The biga and dough get fine ground whole wheat flour from Lori's. I've also chucked in organic oat flour in the final dough. I follow the recipe to the letter (how often do I say this, huh?). For this bread, I have been known bite the utility-bill bullet and turn up the heat so the dough will rise!

Its the best multi-grain bread I've eaten and it considerably improves my reputation as a cook! I've eaten it for breakfast, served it with soup and even as a post-run snack with peanut butter.

The crust turns out great, due to the dousing of the hot oven with water. The crumb is dense. Probably because of all the cooked whole grain in the soaker. This bread has personality. Its like that incredibly smart, quiet guy in the room. The one with calm eyes, who is so confident that he simply doesn't need to boast or brag!

All that apart, Thank you Suganya for the starter that started it all!

Links:
1. For copyright reasons, I did not post the recipe. A good multi-grain bread to start with: Peter Reinhart's Struan
2. More reviews of the Multi-Grain Hearth Bread

13 comments:

bee said...

i was just going through my copy of this book today and trying to make diastatic malt substitute at home. lovely entry.

Suganya said...

"Theres no substitute for working the dough with your hands" - Totally. I had fun. More than the taste, the satisfaction of making bread at home is what sends me back to the bread making loop :). Smita, I am so glad to have encouraged you (indirectly) to making bread at home. It is addictive and I am proud of it every single bit.

FH said...

Beautiful bread Smita. Baking is one my favorite things to do, soothes your soul. Glad you made this!:))
Making Naan today for Sunday lunch!

Sangeetha said...

Your bread looks wonderful, Smita!!! I have still not crossed the disaster zone for baking bread......your bread tempts me to try harder :)!

Shammi said...

Love your writing almost better than your posts. :)

Shammi said...

Sheesh... I meant to say "Love your writing almost better than your recipes."

*sigh* My apologies for the mistake earlier!

Srivalli said...

wow..that looks heavenly...bread baking is such a earthly thing..I did it long ago..wish I could start again...

Tracy said...

Yum! Looks great. Congrats on a successful loaf of bread!

Viji said...

Smita, the slice of bread talks the texture. Very nice. Viji

LisaRene said...

Nice job! I too enjoy baking bread and do read the Fresh Loaf - lots of great information. Nothing like homemade bread :)

ServesYouRight said...

Thank you all :-)

Cakelaw said...

Great looking bread Smita.

Julie said...

Now that's my kind of breakfast.