Sunday

Banana Crumb Square Things

Although you'd never guess it from my kitchen nazi demeanor, one of the main reasons I enjoy food is because I get to cook for the folks I love. Its not just about preparing food, is it? Its about all the thought, the possibilities, the minutiae... all culminating in a happy lip-smacking experience. One thats easy on the eyes and palate, nourishes your body and nurtures your spirit.

Its not always smooth sailing... A zillion different details must come together, all those taciturn ingredients with minds of their own. Knowing me, I have strong feelings about EVERYTHING and refuse to compromise because I know I'm RIGHT!! (sigh) Perhaps it is time to learn how to be gentle!! And then, with a little stirring, a little sifting, everything comes together and they all get along.

I was looking for a sweet bread that would work as a breakfast dessert and then double up as a coffee cake to serve with ice cream. I wanted something sweet but not too sweet, healthful but not obviously so... (picky, picky!) I came upon a popular recipe for Banana Crumb Muffins. Made the following changes: substituted whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar for 3/4 cup white sugar and chucked in a tablespoon of yoghurt and cut down on the butter. Used a 9 x 13 pan in lieu of muffin cups.

The bread lived up to its outstanding reviews! Everybody who tried it, liked it. It worked with coffee at breakfast. Warmed up a little, we ate it after dinner with Creme Brulee ice cream! The crumb topping was noteworthy and received quite a few compliments all on its own. Heres a bread, strong and smart, yet versatile and gentle... and popular to boot! Perhaps theres a lesson in there somewhere!

8 comments:

Viji said...

I agree with you. This one is really good. Viji

Shammi said...

haha, I like the title! :)

Unknown said...

You do deserve a compliment :) It looks yummy!!!

FH said...

That looks so delicious,better than muffin shape!:)

Suganya said...

Breakfast dessert? What a luxury!!

Coffee said...

Ah! Now that looks lip smackingly delicious!

I so agree wiht you on the first para. :)

Sharmi said...

thanks a lot for dropping by my blog and letting me know of you awesome blog. really fell in love with the pictures and all the recipes. you have a unique way of writing and presenting which give a rich look to ur blog.

ServesYouRight said...

Thank You Ladies!

Yes, my sweet tooth gets up early in the morning and joins us for breakfast!

Smita