Tuesday

Fruitful days

Far too much time is being spent with the laptop and not enough time with other human beans. Wish me luck, gentle reader. Here's hoping all this will bear fruit someday. Speaking of fruit, Fall brings sweet gifts. Pictured above are apples (? Red Delicious) by the Lake.

The plethora of choices had me waffling in the apple aisle at Wegman's this past week. (Yes, there is an apple aisle) Picked up some Cortlands and turned them into a Apple Clove Bread.


Heres what I did:

- Beat 4 Tablespoons butter, 2 Tablespoons yoghurt and half a cup of sugar (white and muscovado in equal parts). Added 2 eggs and half a cup of milk.
- Combined 1 and 1/3 cups mixed flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder. I used equal parts: whole wheat, amaranth, barley and oat flour!!
- Added 1.5 cups of chopped apples and 1 teaspooon fresh ground cloves.
- Baked at 350 for 60 minutes.

Voice of Experience:

The apple clove combination is delightful. I'm thinking about adding cinnamon next time. Tart apples like Golden Delicious would work even better. The flour combination was overkill. In general, oat flour is tricky to work with, in my admittedly limited experience. Will stick to whole wheat and a little amaranth or spelt next time. Else will make it in a flatter pan, like a 9x13 instead of a 9x5 loaf pan. To be fair, this a good snack or breakfast bread, hearty and flavorful without going overboard on the butter.

This one goes to Scott at The Real Epicurean for "In the Bag". Scott hosts this seasonal food-themed event and this month's feature is fruit!

Recipe links:
Apple Clove Cake

8 comments:

Roopa (KitchenAromas) said...

Ah, nice! Though a super combination, apple+cinnamon is so banal. I like the idea of using cloves with apple!

amna said...

i am sure that smelt heavenly as it was baking :)

Suganya said...

The rays of sun does all the magic. Looks pretty!

FH said...

Tart Apple and cinnamon pie with rustic crust is my fave!! Looks great. That tree is bending over with fruits, yum!

bee said...

great recipe with a great combo of flours. thanks for sharing.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

click here for food recipes

Sharmi said...

great combination of flours. I am going to take this basic recipe and try to create my bread tomorrow. lovely apple tree.

ServesYouRight said...

Many thanks y'all! I'm hoping someday oat flour and I will reach some level of amicable interaction.

(sigh)

Smita