Tuesday

Ode to Oatmeal

My quest for a healthy and yummy breakfast, that can be prepared in under 5 minutes (without neccessarily being awake) has led me to oatmeal! I was raving about my new-found love when a friend scoffed, "Why don't you just eat cardboard?". I was shocked! Granted he is young and and loves bacon. Granted he went to business school. Still, thats no excuse for an under-developed palate!

Anyhoo, in defense of oatmeal, I felt compelled to share my modus operandi. This will work with old fashioned oats, quick cooking oats, oat or wheat bran or stuff from one of the boxed multi-grain thingys (see picture above!).

- Measure a 1/3 cup of oatmeal into a microwave proof bowl. And really, this is the only critical requirement!
- Measure 1 cup water into the bowl.
- Add 1 tsp brown sugar / 1 tablespoon raisins or any dried fruit.
- Zap for about 2-3 minutes in 1 minute intervals.

Voice of experience:
- Do not zap the bowl for 2-3 minutes at one go. The whole thing boils and overflows creating a godawful sticky mess.
- Add milk / honey based on taste and what not.
- If you are exceptionally awake, grate an apple and add it to the oatmeal. Go ahead, grate the skin, its good for you! (And its less work!)

Enjoy!

No comments: